Monday 9 March 2015

Sultan Wais: A Different Name

They called me ‘Carrot’ because they attributed my height to eating plenty of carrots, especially after they tried eating beans and it didn't work out for them. The name changed to ‘NEPA bill’ because of a silly joke I made during an English class.

I graduated thinking I had left the nicknames behind, only to realise differently. The nickname became ‘Easy’, which sort of came from the Supa Strikas Goalkeeper, Easy Okola. It was sometimes ‘Eazy’ because of my actual name. I liked either name depending on who was calling it.

A new nickname was born when a lecturer adopted the habit of always asking for me in a funny way during his classes. As much as I tried to reject it, it seemed to have stuck; worse, it became generally accepted by my course mates.

As I warmed up to the nickname, I decided to make an addition to it and fell in love with it thereafter. It became more than a nickname; it became a different persona that I had previously hid away in the dark, away from the eyes of critics and ridicule.

A new me was born, one not too distinct from the original but one that freed itself a lot more from the unknown thoughts of others. I lived life through a different name, a different being that existed in the chemistry that only ink and paper could understand.

The alternate persona created the anonymity that I craved. The alternate lived life in a fantastical utopia, where perfection wasn't the aim but rather perfection in the discovery of middle grounds.
I had intended for the alternate to have a life separate from the original but seen only in words. However, the original became a little jealous and being the neutral party, I allowed the original and the alternate to merge in some places. Places where the original would take on more of the alternate’s persona.

However, the alternate will never be discarded despite this occasional merger, rather live its own life and be called upon to be of service in the moments when the original could not act. The alternate will never have a happily ever after because it was never created to live within the Cycle of Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment